karri pledger

Who is Karri Pledger you ask? Karri is tso's first featured face in an upcoming segment dedicated to up and coming models called... "Featured Faces". Karri recently won the annual Girlfriend Rimmel Model Search 2009, winning a two year modelling contract with Australia's Chic Model Management and Next Model Management New York. With past competition winners including the likes of Catherine McNeil, Abbey Lee Kershaw and Sarah Stephens, Karri's future certainly looks more than bright. The 15 year old red-headed beauty has been compared to fellow Australian model royalty Gemma Ward. I recently had a quick chat with Karri following her competition success.


karri pledger

Hi Karri, how are you?
Hey, I'm great thanks :)

Congratulations on taking out the 2009 Girlfriend Model Competition. With past winners of the competition including the likes of Catherine McNeil, Abbey Lee Kershaw and Sarah Stephens hitting international status how does winning it feel?
Thank you. Winning has been amazing, the idea of modelling internationally is so exciting. I'm sure it'll be a life changing experience.


What was the competition like? What were your most memorable moments?

All aspects of the competition were great. I'd have to say that the part I enjoyed the most was the winner's shoot; working in a professional environment with such talented people was a great experience and I love how the photos fitted together to create a story. A close second would be the winner's announcement event, it was such a fun afternoon and I got to meet some amazing people in the industry - it was overwhelming.

karri pledger


At 15 and your career about to take off, have you always wanted to model?

From the age of about 11 I started to understand what modelling actually involved and I found it to be very intriguing. It's such a fast paced, non-stop profession and every job is a totally new experience.


What will you be doing now that the competition is over?

I guess the next step for me is to talk to Girlfriend Magazine and Chic Model Management to see what happens next. Then hopefully I'll be off to NYC.

Do you have any favourite designers/style icons?
Christophe Decarnin for Balmain, the way he has re-introduced structured shoulders is inspiring.

What music are you currently listening to?
I'm not much of a mainstream music fan. I'm more into the alternative music, especially British rock. I've recently fallen in love with The Metros, The Cribs and The Futureheads. I also love Bloc Party, there's nothing else like them.

Where is your ultimate travel destination?
I know it's a bit of a cliché but I've always wanted to go to New York. But really, having never left Australia I'd be happy to travel anywhere. The world's such a huge place and I can't wait to explore it.

karri pledger


Do you have any unusual habits or phobias?
There's nothing jaw-droppingly strange that I can do, although I can touch my nose with my tongue and bend my arms at an unusual angle. Also, I'm the girl who undeliberately gets attached to and constantly uses weird words... Gumby for instance - "You can't wear that, you look like a Gumby." It's completely meaningless yet I can't stop it slipping out.


You have been compared to fellow Australian beauty Gemma Ward. Do you have any beauty must haves, routines?
I just try and look after myself as well as possible. I make sure to clean my skin properly and always wear sun block and I look after my hair by avoiding blow-dryers and straighteners.

And finally, what is next for you?
What's next for me? There's a question I can't completely answer. Of course I hope to continue modelling, I'm just not sure how far it will take me - so for now, watch this space.

No comments: